Saturday, December 29, 2007

Best Christmas Ever!

From Triumph Speedmaster
Just when I thought that this was going to be a frugal Christmas with nothing much more than joy and love to take us through the season, my wonderful husband, Bud, pulled an amazing stunt that I will never forget.

A few days prior to Christmas, he had told me how he was going to take his trailer to help his dad, Jerry, move a patio set that was a Christmas present for his wife, Kim. It all sounded very nice and I was impressed at Jerry's desire to set up this secret surprise present. So, Bud disappeared with his trailer for a few hours and answered my questions about the new patio set upon his return. Nothing to see here.

Christmas Eve rolls around and Bud, Kurtis and I drive to Jerry and Kim's for the traditional nibbles and gift exchange soirée. Later in the evening as gifts were being passed around, I ended up with this tiny package in my hand with no label. I study it and wonder what it could be. Others look at it and debate if it is candy, and if so, what kind of candy? I ask if Bud if he is sure it's for me and who is it from anyway? Getting exasperated, Bud told me to just open it. So I did.

It was a couple of keys, one larger than the other. I held them up and announced that it is a set of keys and asked what they are for. Is it for a safe? I had been thinking about where to store those data back ups that I had been dutifully taking and then leaving on my desk! "What does it say on the keys?" says Bud. I study the key in the low lighting as the realisation dawns on me when I slowly read out the word 'Triumph'. It says Triumph!

I look at Bud who is grinning and beckoning me to follow him. We walk out to the garage and there she is in all her glory. A brand new 2007 Triumph Speedmaster, with a big red bow!

The next half an hour or so was like a dream where everything was blurry and surreal. Everybody came out to the garage and witnessed my elation, tears, huge grin and repeatedly saying, "I can't believe it!" while hugging Bud. I had wondered where Kim's patio set was, but didn't want to say anything. Well duh! As well as the surprise of the bike, I also marvelled at Bud's ability to pull one over on me like that. Very clever!

On Christmas day morning, Bud rode my new Speedy home while I followed in the car. It's a very nice looking bike and exactly what I had wanted. As I said... best Christmas ever!

No comments: